Top 5 Best Camping Hammock Available 2018
- Portable Parachute Nylon Fabric Travel Camping Hammock
- Material: Parachute Nylon Fabric
Dimension: 275cm x 140cm
- Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock For Camping
- Material: 210T Parachute Nylon
Dimension: 9' x 4' 5" for single hammock & 10' x 6' 5" for double hammock
- Legit Camping - Double Hammock
- Material: 210T Nylon Fabric
Dimension: 9 x 6.1 inches
Capacity: 400 lbs
- Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
- Material: 210T Nylon Parachute Fabric
Dimension: 118" x 78"
Capacity: 500 lbs
- ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters - DoubleNest Hammock
- Material: 70D High Tenacity Breathable Nylon Taffeta
Dimension: 9'4" x 6'2"
Capacity: 400 lbs
Backpacking is a combination of camping, hiking, climbing and many more outdoor activities. It includes carrying a bag pack while moving to a destination of your choice and staying overnight in the outdoors. Hiking is a part of camping activities. It is walking and enjoying the beauty of nature. By the end of the day you will need to rest for the night. You can choose to sleep in a tent, but using the best camping hammock is becoming the best way to go as they are versatile and much more enjoyable.
Hammock camping has become the way to go as compared to using tents and tarps. It is much more flexible. The number of camping sites is limited by your imagination. You will not have to look for flat ground for you to sleep. A best camping hammock also gives much more than a tent. You will be able to enjoy nature while sitting or lounging in your hammock as compared to when you are in a tent. At the same time you can even read in your own comfort.
Here Are Our Best Camping Hammock Reviews
Himal Outdoor Travel Camping Multifunctional Hammocks
- 210T Parachute Nylon Fabric
- 500 lbs capacity
- Editor Rating:
- Soft: This Himal hammock is made of high fiber breathable 210T nylon of 500-pounds weight. It comes in diversified colors and is soft to touch.
- Durable: The seamless triple interlock stitching that maximizes the hammock strength.
- Sturdy: The hanging Carabiners are made of 7075 aerospace aluminum alloy that is able to carry 2500lb.
- Integrated: The hammock can be compacted down to a grapefruit size. It can be used for holding food, phones and bottles and much more.
- Portable: Himal Outdoor Travel Camping Multifunctional Hammock is easy to assemble. It requires a few minutes to assemble without the use of tools.
- Versatile: It can be used for a number of activities such as hiking, boating, camping, traveling, back-yarding, beach and lake or even just relaxing. It is a perfect alternative to sleeping pads, tent, swing, ground mat, cradle and even yoga mat.
- Lightweight: This is a hammock that you can carry around without having to dismantle.
- Color: They come in different colors, hence you can choose the color that you feel comfortable with or the color that is attractive to you.
- Easy assembling: You don’t need any tools to assemble it or hiring an expert to do it for you. You can assemble it in a matter of minutes and relax in it.
- Easy to clean and maintain: It requires minimal maintenance since it is made from durable materials. The materials are easy to dry hence you don’t need to put under the sun for a long period time to dry.
- You can be sure that while you sleep in your hammock that there is free circulation of air hence you will have no difficulty in breathing
- Compact carrying case: It comes with a compact case, making it easy to carry while going for camping.
- It is multifunctional hence it can be used for more than one purpose.
- It does not give any knot instruction.
- It includes a very short rope and it has no clips. This means that you will have to buy separate hammock tree straps.
- It has clips with rough edges that can tear the hammock material that must be replaced.
- Poor stitching for some hammock which make some rip sound when sat on.
Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest Hammock
- 70D high tenacity breathable
- 400 lbs capacity
- Editor Rating:
- High strength: The Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest hammock safely supports up to 400lbs. It features 70D high tenacity that is breathable nylon taffeta. It is triple interlocking stitches. The suspension ropes are sold separately.
- Lightweight and easily portable: Though the hammock is big enough for two and spacious for one, it can be stuffed easily into its compression stuff sack. The hammock can be compacted down to backpack that has a friendly size of a grapefruit.
- Quick and easy to setup: The hammock comes with aluminum wire gate Carabiners and nautical grade line which has stainless- steel snap links that allow quick and safe setup to trees, poles, walls and even boat masts.
- Ideal for multiple uses: It is versatile and durable, making it ideal for traveling, camping, boating, traveling, back-yarding or just relaxing.
- It’s light to carry around and can be packed into a small space. This means that you will not be worried about the amount of space that it occupies.
- Easy to setup as no tools or expert are required
- Use of superior component that makes it strong and durable.
- There are multiple uses that you can use the hammock for.
- It has a large weight capacity, meaning that you can accommodate a friend or family members and relax together in the hammock.
- It’s greatly flexible due to the long lasting products used to make it.
- Has enough fabric to cover one person completely hence you don’t need anything to cover yourself.
- This hammock does not come with attachment ropes meaning that you have to incur an extra cost to buy them.
- It has a high price tag since it comes with Carabiners for attachment. This means you pay extra for the Carabiners.
- Some cannot accommodate two adults since they are short. The only way adults can fit is when they are seated. It can accommodate two toddlers though.
Yes4All Double and Single Hammocks- Ultralight Portable Nylon Parachute Hammock
- Breathable Nylon Parachute
- 275 lbs capacity for single hammock
- 450 lbs for double hammock
- Editor Rating:
- Standard quality and convenient: The portable hammock is made of woven high grade nylon material that is interlocked stitches that maximize the strength. This makes it durable and strong enough to hold up to 275 lbs for single and 450 lbs for the double.
- The hammock is also sturdy and at the same time lightweight, making it perfect for backpacking, camping or hiking. The material used to make this hammock is soft and breathable.
- It is also mildew: Resistant, making it suitable for long time usage. The material used is machine-washable and will last a lifetime. It comes in a variety of tropical colors.
- Easy storage and travel: The hammock comes in a full innovative attached stuff bag. The single hammock is 100 inch by 57 inch will accommodate you comfortably. The double hammock is 202 inches by 78 inches gives on the luxury of having more space and even extra space for two people.
- Tree straps set: They are made of non-tear nylon that is 100% durable. They weigh only 1.7 pounds but are strong enough to hold up to 660 lbs. each strap s 1.5 inches wide and 18.5 feet long.
- This Yes4All hammock is very strong and it stretches a lot.
- It is lightweight both when set up or when packed in its bag. You can easily move from one place to another without much difficulty, so it become one of the best backpacking hammocks.
- It looks great as it comes in different tropical colors to choose from.
- It packs very tightly into its bag making it convenient to store.
- Setting it up is easy as you can setup in minutes and no tools are required.
- Easy to clean and dry since it’s made from materials that dry fast.
- The name suggests that it can accommodate more than one person but in reality only two toddlers can fit. There is no enough space for adults unless when seated.
- It sets up in a way that the sides don’t come to cocoon you the way a hammock is supposed to be. This can lead to you falling off from the side of the hammock.
- It has crappy straps that are 5fts meaning that they are too short. You will need to buy some ropes for the hammock.
Eagles Nest Outfitters – Single Nest Hammock
- 70D High Tenacity Breathable
- 400 lbs capacity
- Editor Rating:
- High strength that safely supports up to 400lb. The single nest hammock has 70D high tenacity breathable nylon taffeta with triple interlocking stitching. The hammock suspension straps are sold separately.
- It is light weight and easily portable: The hammock is light enough to make a backpackers cut, but at the same time robust enough for backyard luxury. It stuffs easily into its attached compression stuff sack. It is also easy to compact down the hammock to a friendly size as that of a softball. In packed dimensions the length is 4inches and the width is 5 inches. In unfolded dimension the length is 9’4” by 4’7”. It weighs only 16 oz.
- Quick and easy to set up: It comes with aluminum wire gate Carabiners and a nautical grade line with stainless steel snap links that allows you to quickly and safely secure the single nest to poles, walls, trees all even boat masts.
- Ideal for multiple uses: The eagles nest single hammock is very versatile, compact and durable, making it ideal for outdoor activities such as boating, traveling, backpacking, camping or even just relaxing.
- Good color combination In the effort to reduce any form the hammock is combined in various colors and they vary. The hammock will come in color combinations and you can choose from a wide variety.
- Comfortable: It is breathable, allowing air circulation. The fabric is strong to hold you in place and is well built.
- Durable: The hammock can be used for a long period of time, which saves money and time. It is also sturdy which improves its durability.
- Saves on time: The ease to set up is an added advantage as you will take very little time and use the rest to enjoy and relax.
- Cost effective: It offers value for its price and is also long lasting. Its versatility also saves on money as you do not have to buy different hammocks for different activities.
- Convenient: It is easy to carry the hammock around giving it an added advantage for most outdoor activities and backpacking.
- The hammock is small for huge people who would love to have a singleNest rather than a doubleNest.
- The color matching does not please most people.
Portable Parachute Nylon Fabric Travel Camping Hammock
- Parachute nylon fabric
- 150 kg capacity
- Editor Rating:
- Durable: Made with high quality nylon makes it withstand harsh weather conditions and it can be used for a long period of time for outdoor activities.
- Colorful: It comes in various types of colors that are matched up with a grey color. The wide range of colors available makes it easy to choose that which fits you.
- Portable: Portable Parachute Nylon Fabric Hammock comes with a sack that is similar in color in which the hammock can be compressed to fit easily and travel around with much ease.
- Easy to clean and dry quickly after being wet: Washing it is not a problem since it is easy and drying it will take less time. Worrying about the rain is the least of your concerns while outdoors with this hammock. It dries very fast.
- Made of strong parachute nylon fabric: This makes it carry up to 150kgs with ease. It does not tear easily and is comfortable carrying more than one person. Its approximate size is 275 by 140 cm.
- Easy to set up: This hammock can be fixed with just two binding strings that can be tied to trees and poles. It also comes with two ropes for set up.
- Convenient: The fact that you don’t have to worry about washing and drying the hammock makes it a convenient companion for camping and hiking. It is also lightweight making it easy to travel with at any given time.
- Comfortable: The nylon fabric is breathable and you will have a comfy feel while sleeping in it.
- It is huge: It holds two people sturdily due to the wide space it has. For smaller people it can even carry three or four.
- Versatile: When you buy the hammock for camping, you can as well use it around the beach and at home.
- It comes with only two ropes instead of Polly straps, para-cords or Carabiners that are at times short to hold the hammock in place.
- The hammock is not ideal for tall persons as it is short.
Why Should You Have a Best Camping Hammock?
- You will be off the unleveled ground, rocks and roots
Sleeping on an unleveled ground, roots and rocks is the most uncomfortable way to sleep when camping, hiking or backpacking. This is a common complaint when sleeping under a tent. With a best backpacking hammock, you sleep off the ground away from such discomfort.
- No bed to make all the times
Many people hate the thought of making their bed every morning. With a camping hammock, you don’t have to be worried about making a bed since there is no bed to be made.
- It’s very comfortable to sleep in a hammock
Since there are no pressure points, your body will be able to rest completely. With the addition of the fact that the camping/backpacking hammock is suspended and supported you will have a comfortable sleep while floating in the air.
- Bedding and shelter remain dry and muck-free
When you sleep in a hammock, you will not have to dry them in the morning due to the fact it’s raised from the ground. You will not have to sweep or shake off wet leaves and debris from your hammock. When sleeping under a tent, your sleeping material will most likely get wet and you will have to dry them before packing. For a hammock, you will be free from all this.
- The camper hangs above compact ground and potential flood zones
Flat areas are prone to flooding when it rains. Sleeping in a hammock is will keep you dry overnight as compared to sleeping in a tent.
- Setup and packing is quicker with less potential for rips, punctures and tears.
The ability of the hammock to float keeps it away from puncture hazards and you will not need patching tear and rips. It is easier to choose a camping ground as you will not worry about sharp rocks and plants such as cactus.
- Endurance and durability
Camping or backpacking hammocks are made with materials that cannot be destroyed by the weather. They are made to endure all types of weather that may be there when you are camping. The materials also are acrylic and vinyl that makes your best camping hammocks to dry quickly. Their chains, grommets and suspension ropes are also made to be tough in all weather.
- Hammocks hang away from creeping creatures and nocturnes
The threat of spiders, lizards and snake trails are why many people avoid camping. With a hammock you will be clear of all these dangers since you are elevated from the ground and the animals and insects will crawl under past your hammock.
- Hammocks offer killer views
With a best backpacking hammock, the field is wide open. Choose campsites that are open to the morning sun and offer breathtaking overlooks. You will enjoy the view while still sitting or lounging in your hammock.
- There is maximum air circulation during the hot season and muggy summers
With a hammock there is a benefit of complete air circulation as compared to tents which are notorious heat traps. Hammocks are cool and comfortable.
- It offers more than just a place to sleep
When you have a camping hammock with you, you will have more than just a place where you can sleep during the night. It will offer a place to sit or a place to place you can relax and read a book or tell jokes around the campfire. Besides, you can move around with your hammock and set it up in the place you feel it’s convenient for you. For example, you can set it up next to a waterfall and enjoy your time there while relaxing.
Types of Camping Hammocks
Camping hammocks are divided into categories which include:
Parachute Nylon Hammocks
Parachute nylon hammocks are one of the most common types of hammocks that are in the market today. The fabric is recognizable by its crinkly appearance. It is one of the strongest fabrics used in making hammocks that can accommodate up to 181 kg load capacity. It has a fairly soft texture. The parachute nylon also has a moderate stretch which is preferred by most campers for the best comfort.
Parachute nylon came in single or double model, but each manufacturer varies in product packaging, construction and dimension.
These are excellent for backpackers who are looking for the lightest options that are available to reduce the weight of their bag pack. These models are less durable and comfortable that a regular single. Some of the hammocks under this category are: byer traveler lite, grand trunk ultra-light, eagles nest outfitters pronest, grand trunk Nano 7.
These are models that are burly and are designed to withstand many conditions and when extended stay in a more comfortable asymmetrical design. They come with features such as bug nets and rain flies. This model is breathable to keep you cool in hot climate and has a double layer at the bottom that you can slip into during the cold climate. The bug-net is dark green in color which makes it easy to see through. They are heavier and more expensive than any other open design. Some of these include the Hennessy expedition asym and the warbonnet blackbird.
Things to Consider When Buying a Best Camping Hammock
Camping is a tradition that is time honored and is enjoyed by lots of people even today. If you are a regular camper, then you know all about what to bring and how to choose the best camping essentials. Since hammock camping has become the way to go, it is important to know which hammock serves best. There are a number of factors to consider when choosing a hammock.
Making a decision to go hiking into the hills with a hammock and not a tent is tricky. A camper who chooses to go into a winter storm has a completely different set of problems as compared to a camper who chooses to hike in the desert. These two types of hikers will need to consider a lot before choosing a camping hammock.
First, consider in what type of setting you will be using the hammock. Will you need a bug net or rain fly? Or is sleeping in the open model type just fine? Secondly, determine whether you will be using yours for sleeping means or mainly lounging around the camp. If you have never slept in a hammock, taking mid-day naps and lounging in camps is a great way to get used to it. If you are just starting out, it is advisable to bring along an ultra-light model for a short backpacking trip and also bring along a lightweight tent or shelter as a back-up plan.
When going for longer trips, where the weather is unpredictable or it changes from time to time, fully-rigged hammock versions can be brought along as a replacement for tents. This helps in reducing the pack weight and adds versatility and comfort to the camp set up. A camping hammock is fun and is substantially a more comfortable way of enjoying the wilderness.
Types of Camping Hammock Designs
Gathered end asymmetrical hammock: This is most widespread camping hammock. It has two distinct features which include:
- It has an asymmetrical shape which allows the camper to lay diagonally to the center line allowing a flatter position when sleeping. This is also enabled by the hammock’s width.
- Its ends are gathered together to a single bunch.
- This type of hammock is lightweight, roomier and has a less constrictive feel.
Bridge hammock: The ends of this hammock are non-gathered reinforced with a gather bar and it uses a flat design. The shape is more flat, trough –like and half-tube. The camper sleeps in a flat position. It has less body adjustments and fuss adjustments too. It has two disadvantages:
- Spreader bars that are used add weight to the hammock, but most of the designs can also be used with trekking poles as substitutes.
- To some campers, the tubular shape is found to be more constrictive.
Comfort is the best quality because models that are uncomfortable to sleep in are not ideal for camping. It is important to check out camping hammock reviews when buying online to see which gear suites you best. Hammocks that are roomier tend to offer better sleeping conditions while the lighter designs sacrifice comfort for materials that are compact in size but often affect the quality of sleep. There is also the case of high quality, lightweight pads and bags that will pair with the hammock. Most people will prefer the parachute nylon mode as it is slightly stretchy and feels great in contact with the skin.
The weight of camping hammocks largely depends on the material used. The most reliable materials are cotton, polyester and canvas. When considering weight it is also important to consider the suspension system. Some models come with an included cord while other do not. Many campers will choose to use their own suspension system. Many hammocks are made of lightweight parachute nylon with durable smooth fabric which is comfortable to touch. The lightest models are not so durable as compared to the burlier heavy denier nylon models. Size also affects weight. Some models have slim features with durable material. A good rule of thumb is that the wider and longer the hammock is the more comfortable it will be.
The strongest hammocks are those that are made of nylon. The material can protect from wind and light rain. Hammocks made from thin polyester tend to be a poor shield from such conditions. Nylon is the most preferred for windy conditions. The best camping hammock that offers protection from these conditions is the Hennessy expedition asym as it is extremely weatherproof. It also has a bug net. The blackbird also has a removable bug net and a deep floor to cut the wind from flowing into the hammock.
A good camping hammock model should be versatile to fit the user’s needs. A good hammock can be used for sleeping, lounging, sitting, and much more. The doubles are a great choice for versatility. The single parachute models are also a good blend for those looking for lightweight options for camping.
Ease to Set-up
Setting up can be difficult, especially if the hammock does not have straps or cords to wrap around the anchors. It is advisable to go for models that have Carabiners and extra cords. This will make it easier to set up at any location. The anchors can either be rock horns or a pair of trees which have the right distance apart.
A bug net is one the important accessories to provide the camper with a bug-free sleeping space. Staying warm is also an issue since the wind blows from under the hammock. One way to solve this is by sleeping on a standard sleeping pad at the bottom. The pad is placed between the double layers of the hammock. Some hammocks will use an under-quilt comfortably. The under-quilt increases warmth and comfort.
It is imperative to conduct a coat comparison before buying a camping hammock. Camping supplies vary in price depending on their quality and the place of sale. When looking to save money the best place to buy is online since there are various websites that sell affordable and good quality gear. Price comparison is also very easy when buying online. In the end, it is all about what you need and can afford.